Voca 테스트 (7)
다음 밑줄 친 단어 또는 구의 의미와 가까운 단어나 표현을 (A)~(D) 중에서 고르시오.
1. A balance of international payment refers to the net result of the business which a nation carries on with other nations in a given period.
2. The representatives of the company seemed very callous concerning the conditions of the workers.
3. The ultimate cause of the Civil War was the bombardment of Fort Sumter.
4. Phosphorus is used in paints for highway signs and markers because it is luminous at night.
5. Chemicals are used to retard the growth of ornamental trees.
6. The Supreme Court has a reputation for being just.
7. To look quickly through a book is an important study skill.
8. Einstein’s theory of relativity seemed incredible at the time that he first introduced it.
9. Congress was hesitant to repeal the Prohibition Act.
10. The president is often awakened by a noisy crowd which assembles on the White House lawn to protest his policies.
정답 및 해설
1. (C) transacts 거래하다
To carry on business means to transact.
해석: 국제수지란 특정기간 동안 한 국가가 다른 국가와 사업을 수행한 최종 결과를 말한다.
어휘: net result 최종 결과
2. (D) insensitive
Callous means insensitive; unfeeling. (A) Liberal means progressive. (B) Ignorant means uninformed. (C) Responsible means dependable.
해석: 회사 대표들은 노동자들의 여건에 대해 매우 냉담해 보였다.
3. (A) final
Ultimate means final. (B) Only means sole. (C) True means real. (D) Simple means easy.
해석: 남북전쟁의 궁극적인 원인은 Sumter 요새의 포격이었다.
어휘: bombardment 포격
4. (A) bright
Luminous means bright, especially in reference to objects that shine in the dark.
해석: 인은 야간에 빛이 나기 때문에 고속도로 표지판 및 표시물 도료에 사용된다.
5. (B) stunt
To retard means to stunt; slow down. (A) Initiate means to begin. (C) Benefit means to help. (D) Alter means to change.
해석: 화학 물질은 장식용 나무의 성장을 지연시키는 데 사용된다.
Voca 테스트 (7)
6. (B) impartial
Impartial means just; fair, especially in reference to a decision or judgment. (A) Stubborn means obstinate. (C) Humorous means amusing. (D) Capricious means impulsive.
해석: 대법원은 공정하다는 평판을 받고 있다.
7. (A) skim (필요한 부분을 찾거나 요점을 알기 위해) 흝어보다
To look quickly through means to skim at reading material; to read superficially. (B) Summarize means to abstract. (C) Outline means to list the main points. (D) Paraphrase means to restate in one’s own words.
해석: 책을 빨리 보는 것은 중요한 학습 기술이다.
8. (A) unbelievable
Incredible means hard to believe. (B) Complicated means complex. (C) Brilliant means very intelligent. (D) Famous means renowned.
해석: 아인슈타인의 상대성 이론은 그가 처음 소개했을 때 믿기지 않게 보였다.
9. (C) reluctant
Hesitant means reluctant; unwilling. (A) Willing means obedient. (B) Urged means advised. (D) Supposed means assumed.
해석: 의회는 금주법의 폐지를 주저했다.
10. (B) clamorous 시끄러운
Noisy means clamorous, especially in reference to a crowd. (A) Jocular means happy. (C) Gigantic means large. (D) Capricious means changeable.
해석: 대통령은 종종 그의 정책에 항의하기 위해 백악관 잔디밭에 모이는 시끄러운 군중에 의해 깨어난다.